The latest 70cm, 23cm, 13cm, 9cm & 6cm EME
activity from G4CCH
11th August 2013
Hyperlinks on callsigns are to audio clips of signals (will add clips later)
3rd and 4th August 2013 - 6cm EME
After a bad start on Saturday with all kinds of problems:
I had no elevation control to start with – turned out the
jack screw was jammed at the end of its travel, and the motor would not turn it.
took some time to figure out what was going on.
Couldn’t remember how I wired my lash up of a system – before I dismantle next time I will keep notes..!!! Took most of the day to get going.
Heard an electrical crackling sound in the shack followed
by a nasty burning smell – turned out to be my HP436 power meter – will have to
find out what has burned up, but the meter still appears to work
I had a much better day on Sunday….
Activity was not quite as good as for the Dubus contest in May, but I made 15 QSO’s of which 7 were initials.
See log below...
WX was calm on Sunday morning, but the wind increase
during the day with gusts >20mph. Signals were in and out as the dish moved +/-
0.5 deg in the wind due to backlash in the azimuth gearbox. That’s just one of
the many things I need to improve somehow.
Sun Noise = 16.5dB (SFU = 106) and Moon Noise = 1.5dB
I have made no attempt to optimise the feed position yet. I may have got lucky and iit could be OK where it is, but at some point I would like to check.
The system here is 5.4m h/b mesh dish, scaled N2UO feed, 30W SSPA at feed point, MGF4919 LNA 0.6dB NF.
Haven’t checked how the figures stack up in EMECALC yet.
I will leave the system in the dish until next Sunday, so if any on wants a sked or test I will be available weekdays after 1800z or anytime over the weekend.
|04/08/2013||07:01||5760||CW||DL7YC||579||559||JO62PK||Yes||28||2.4m dish, 125W at feed|
|04/08/2013||07:49||5760||CW||SM6PGP||559||459||JO67BK||Yes||29||1.8m dish, 80W|
|04/08/2013||10:03||5760||CW||ON5RR||569||529||JO10XR||Yes||30||3.7m dish, 90W|
|04/08/2013||10:39||5760||CW||ON5TA||O||RO||JO20ET||Yes||31||3.6m dish, 10W|
11th August 2013 - 6cm EME
Had more problems with the elevation jack - this time the motor was seized.
On further investigation I discovered that water had got into the motor - looks like I need another QARL 3636 actuator.
I cleaned it up and managed to get it going again - how long for is unknown..!!
Despite heavy wind, managed to make two more initials with PA7JB and G3WDG.
See log below...
Later in the day dropped and I did some echo testing both on CW and SSB.
Echoes are really good with the new SSPA and approx 30W at the feed.
Hyperlinks are to audio clips of signals
|11/08/2013||14:46||5760||CW||PA7JB||549||539||JO22KJ||Yes||33||2.4M offset dish, 30W|
|11/08/2013||14:58||5760||CW||G3WDG||569||559||IO92RG||Yes||34||3m dish, 70W|
|11/08/2013||15:05||5760||SSB||G3WDG||53||43||Yes||3m dish, 70W|
|11/08/2013||15:50||5760||CW||G3LTF||569||569||No||6m dish 22W at feed|
You can find more details of my Initials and standings here
Back to News of my latest EME Activity
Back to homepage